Bishop Shanahan School of Nursing, located in Nsukka, Nigeria, has a long and prestigious history. Founded by the Catholic missionary society, the Daughters of Divine Love, and it is one of the oldest nursing schools in the country.
The school offers a 3-year diploma program in nursing leading to registration as a Registered Nurse (RN). Students learn through lectures, demonstrations, and supervised clinical practice. The curriculum covers nursing theory and skills, basic sciences, and general education courses.
Courses Offered at Bishop Shanahan School of Nursing
Bishop Shanahan Nursing School offers several programs to prepare you for a career in nursing.
- The 4-year BSN program awards you a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. This program provides a solid foundation in nursing skills and theory. With a BSN, you’ll have more career opportunities and higher pay potential.
- For those already holding a bachelor’s degree, the Accelerated BSN program allows you to earn a BSN in just 12-16 months. This fast-track program is intense but for motivated students, it’s a quick path into the nursing field.
- If you’re a licensed practical nurse (LPN) looking to advance your career, the LPN to RN program builds on your experience. You can earn an RN degree and BSN in just 3 semesters.
- For experienced RNs, the RN to BSN program allows you to earn your BSN degree while still working. Most coursework is online with minimal required campus visits.
With a mix of classroom learning, lab practice, clinical rotations, and online courses, Bishop Shanahan Nursing School will provide you a well-rounded nursing education.
Nursing School Cut Off Mark
To gain admission into the prestigious Bishop Shanahan School of Nursing, Nsukka, you’ll need to meet their cutoff mark. The cutoff mark is the minimum entry requirement for the program.
The school usually admits students with a minimum of 200 in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and 50 in the POST-UTME.
However, the cutoff mark may vary from year to year depending on the number of applicants. Some years, the cutoff has been as high as 220 in UTME and 60 in POST-UTME.
The higher your scores, the better your chances of gaining admission. Candidates with scores above the cutoff mark are usually considered first before those who just meet the minimum.
Meeting the cutoff mark alone does not guarantee admission. The number of available spaces, catchment area, and state of origin are other factors that determine who gets in.
Bishop Shanahan School of Nursing Fees
The school fees at Bishop Shanahan School of Nursing are quite affordable. As a federal university, the fees are subsidized by the government to make tertiary education accessible to all.
For Nigerian students, the tuition fee per semester is around ₦90,000-₦250,000 for nursing courses. This includes all necessary course materials like textbooks, handouts, and practical equipment. For international students, the fees are marginally higher at $200-$300 per semester.
Several scholarships and bursaries are available for those who cannot afford the fees.
On-campus hostel accommodation is available for students who wish to stay within the school premises. Rent per semester is between ₦30,000 to ₦50,000 depending on the room type. Off-campus housing around Nsukka town is also an option for those on a budget. Rent for a one-bedroom apartment starts from ₦15,000 per month.
You will need to budget for other expenses like:
- Meals: ₦200 to ₦500 per day for 3 meals
- Transportation: ₦100 to ₦200 for transit within Nsukka
- Medical care: ₦5,000 to ₦10,000 per semester for basic healthcare and insurance
- Learning materials: ₦10,000 to ₦20,000 per semester for extra books, printing, etc.
The total cost of attending Bishop Shanahan School of Nursing for a nursing degree will be in the range of ₦350,000 to ₦500,000 per academic year. With prudent financial planning, the fees are quite manageable for most families and students. Various funding options like scholarships, student loans, and part-time work can also help supplement your budget.
Originally posted 2024-01-01 19:50:36.