Have you been wondering about the list of medical courses offered at UNN? If that have been your case worry no more because in today’s article we got you covered.
The University of Nigeria offers several medical and health-related programs for undergraduate and graduate students.
Some of the major areas of study include:
- Medicine and Surgery: This 6-year undergraduate program leads to an MBBS degree and allows you to practice as a medical doctor. Coursework covers anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pathology, and more.
- Dentistry: The 5-year BDS program prepares you for a career as a dental surgeon. You’ll study oral anatomy, dental materials, radiology, preventive dentistry, restorative dentistry, and other areas.
- Nursing: The university offers B.Sc. Nursing, Post-Basic Nursing, and M.Sc. Nursing programs. As a nurse, you provide care, support, and treatment for patients with a variety of health conditions. Coursework focuses on nursing theories, health assessment, pharmacology, and clinical practice.
- Pharmacy: The 4-year B.Pharm program provides training in chemistry, pharmacology, pharmaceutics, and drug administration. Graduates can work as pharmacists, dispensing and advising on prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
- Optometry: The 5-year program leads to a B.Optom degree. Coursework covers optics, vision science, and the diagnosis and treatment of visual disorders. Graduates are qualified to practice as optometrists.
- And more: Other programs include medical laboratory science, physiotherapy, medical rehabilitation, and medical radiography.
With a wide range of medical and health-related courses, the University of Nigeria provides many opportunities for those interested in careers focused on improving human health and quality of life.
READ ALSO: Sunyani Nursing Training Fees
Full List of Medical Courses Offered at UNN
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
This is UNN’s flagship medical program. It provides students with a broad and solid foundation in the medical sciences. Over six years, you’ll take courses like anatomy, biochemistry, pathology, and pharmacology, as well as gain practical experience through clinical rotations and internships.
Bachelor of Nursing Science (B.N.Sc)
This four-year program prepares you for a career as a registered nurse. You’ll take courses in nursing theory, health assessment, microbiology, and more. Students get hands-on practice through clinical placements in hospitals and health centers.
B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science
This program provides training in clinical laboratory testing and analysis. Over four years, you’ll study medical microbiology, parasitology, histology, biochemistry, and immunology. Students complete clinical placements to gain experience conducting tests and operating medical lab equipment.
This program prepares you to work as a physiotherapist. Coursework covers anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, and pathology. You’ll study rehabilitation techniques like exercise therapy, electrotherapy, and massage. Clinical placements provide an opportunity to work directly with patients.
Doctor of Optometry (O.D.)
This six-year program qualifies you as an optometrist. Coursework includes ocular anatomy, optics, vision science, and optometric theory. Students gain clinical experience testing patients’ vision and health, diagnosing eye diseases and disorders, and prescribing corrective lenses or vision therapy.
Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
This six-year program provides comprehensive training in pharmacy practice. Coursework covers topics like pharmaceutics, pharmacology, pharmacotherapy, and pharmacy administration. Students complete clinical rotations in hospital and retail pharmacy settings, gaining experience providing medication and health management services to patients.
Details on the Top 5 Medical Programs at UNN
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka offers several prestigious medical programs. Here are the top 5 highly-rated medical courses offered at UNN:
1. Medicine and Surgery (MBBS)
UNN’s MBBS program is a 6-year course that leads to a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree. This prestigious program provides students with a strong medical education and the skills to become competent doctors. After the program, graduates can go on to become physicians, surgeons, therapists, or pursue higher degrees in medicine.
UNN offers Bachelors, Masters and PhD programs in Nursing. The Bachelors of Nursing Science program takes 4 years and prepares students to become professional nurses. Students gain knowledge in areas like health assessment, research, leadership and community health. Graduates can work as nurses, midwives, nurse educators and in managerial roles.
3. Medical Laboratory Science
This 4-year BMLS program equips students with skills in clinical chemistry, hematology, histopathology, parasitology, and virology. Graduates work as medical lab scientists, researchers and lecturers. The program provides training in areas like specimen collection, laboratory testing and quality control.
The 5-year Doctor of Pharmacy program trains students to become pharmacists. The program covers areas like pharmacology, pharmaceutics, pharmacognosy, pharmaceutical chemistry, and pharmacy practice. Graduates can work as pharmacists, researchers, medical sales representatives, and in pharmaceutical companies.
The BSc Physiotherapy program takes 4 years and leads to a Bachelor of Physiotherapy degree. Students are trained to assess, diagnose and treat patients with physical disabilities or impairments. Areas of study include anatomy, neurology, orthopedics, and therapeutic exercises. Graduates work as physiotherapists in hospitals, clinics, sports teams and private practice.
The medical programs offered at UNN provide students with quality education and skills for rewarding careers in the healthcare field. Graduates of these programs have gone on to become leaders in the medical profession.