Overview of the University of Calabar
The University of Calabar, also known as UNICAL, is one of Nigeria’s most prestigious universities. Established in 1975, UNICAL has produced notable leaders in medicine, law, politics and business. The university has over 35,000 students and is located in Cross River State’s capital city of Calabar.
UNICAL offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs across many disciplines. However, the university is particularly well known for its medical and health sciences programs. Some of the popular medical courses at UNICAL include:
- Medicine and Surgery (MBBS): This 6-year program leads to a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery degree. It is UNICAL’s flagship medical program and highly competitive.
- Nursing: UNICAL offers B.Sc. degrees in Nursing as well as Postgraduate Diplomas (PGD) and Master’s in Nursing. The nursing school has close ties to local hospitals and health facilities.
- Pharmacy: Students can earn a Bachelor’s (B.Pharm) or Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree. The pharmacy school has an excellent reputation in Nigeria.
- Public Health: Degrees offered include B.Sc., MPH, MSc and PhD in Public Health as well as PGDs in areas like Occupational Health, Reproductive Health and Epidemiology.
Top Medical Programs at UNICAL
The University of Calabar is home to some of the top medical programs in Nigeria. Here are a few of the prestigious degrees you can earn in the College of Medical Sciences:
1. Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
This six-year program trains students to become medical doctors. It provides a solid foundation in medical sciences and clinical experience. Graduates are qualified to practice medicine and apply for residency programs.
2. Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS)
This four-year degree program equips students with the knowledge and skills to become medical laboratory scientists. They gain expertise in clinical chemistry, hematology, histopathology, medical microbiology, and parasitology. Graduates can work in hospitals, clinics, and medical research facilities.
3. Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
This six-year program provides both theoretical knowledge and practical experience in dentistry and oral health. Students learn restorative techniques, oral surgery, orthodontics, periodontics, and pediatric dentistry. Graduates are qualified to register as dentists and provide dental care to patients.
4. Bachelor of Nursing Science (BNSc)
This four-year degree program prepares students to become professional nurses. The curriculum covers nursing theory and practice, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and health sciences. Graduates are eligible to become registered nurses in hospitals, communities, and private practices. They provide crucial care, support, and treatment for patients with various health conditions.
The medical school at UNICAL is highly competitive, but for passionate students looking to pursue a career in medicine, dentistry, nursing or medical laboratory science, the rewards are well worth the effort. Graduates from these top programs are equipped with the knowledge and skills to improve healthcare in Nigeria and beyond.
READ ALSO: Unical Cut Off Mark For Public Health 2024
Admission Requirements and Application Process for Medical Programs at UNICAL
To gain admission into the College of Medical Sciences at the University of Calabar, you’ll need to meet certain requirements and follow the application process.
To qualify for UNICAL’s medical programs, including MBBS, you must:
- Have 5 credits in relevant science subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics) in WAEC, NECO or GCE O’Levels.
- Score at least 180 in JAMB. The higher your score, the better your chances.
- Meet the minimum cut-off mark for medicine at UNICAL, which varies each year based on applications.
- Pass an oral interview conducted by the university.
- Be at least 18 years old to apply for undergraduate medical programs.
Here are the steps to apply to medical school at UNICAL:
- Register for and take the JAMB exam. When registering, choose “University of Calabar” and the medical program you want to apply for.
- Meet the JAMB cut-off mark for medicine at UNICAL. If you score above the cut-off, your details will be forwarded to the university.
- Apply to UNICAL on the university portal when applications open, usually in August. You’ll need to pay an application fee and provide the necessary documents like birth certificate, academic records, etc.
- If shortlisted, you’ll be invited for an oral interview at the university. The interview tests your motivation and preparation for a medical program.
- Check the admission list on the UNICAL website and portal in October to see if you were offered admission. If yes, you’ll need to pay an acceptance fee to secure your spot.
- Attend orientation and registration in January to officially become a UNICAL medical student.
Gaining admission into medical school at UNICAL is competitive, but with the right scores, preparation and persistence, you have a good chance. Make sure you understand all requirements and follow the necessary steps to get into this prestigious program.
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers About Medical Courses Offered in UNICAL
Many prospective students have questions about the medical programs offered at Unical. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions.
1. What medical degrees are offered at Unical?
Unical offers several undergraduate and graduate medical degrees, including:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Dentistry (BDS)
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS)
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Master of Science in Human Anatomy (MSc. Anatomy)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Biochemistry (PhD Medical Biochemistry)
2. How long do the medical programs take to complete?
The duration of Unical’s medical programs varies:
- The MBBS program takes 6 years of study and 1 year of internship to complete.
- The BDS program takes 5 years of study to complete.
- The BMLS program takes 4 years of study to complete.
- Masters programs typically take 2-3 years of full-time study to complete.
- PhD programs usually take 3-5 years of intensive research to complete.
3. What are the admission requirements?
To be admitted into Unical’s medical programs, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Five credits in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology at the SSCE, NECO or equivalent level.
- Acceptable scores in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). The cut-off score varies each year.
- Some programs may require a Bachelor’s degree in a health or science-related field.
- Strong letters of recommendation.
- A personal statement expressing your interest and motivation for the medical field.
4. What career opportunities are available after graduating?
There are many career opportunities for graduates of Unical’s medical programs, including:
• Medical doctor • Dentist • Biomedical scientist
• Public health specialist • Anatomy lecturer • Medical researcher • Biochemistry professor
• And many more!
A medical degree from Unical can open up doors to a rewarding career helping others. If you have the dedication and desire to serve in the healthcare field, Unical has a program for you.