As an aspiring nurse, you seek to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to properly care for patients. A nursing education opens doors to a rewarding career helping others. Lagos State College of Nursing provides high-quality training for nursing students in Nigeria. Whether you wish to become a registered nurse, midwife, or public health nurse, LASCON offers programs to suit your interests. Established in 1965, LASCON has over 50 years of experience educating nurses. Their curriculum combines theoretical learning and practical experience at partner hospitals and health facilities. LASCON aims to equip students with the competence to meet health needs across communities. With affordable fees and the opportunity to positively impact lives, LASCON presents an attractive option for your nursing studies. This article details the various nursing courses offered at LASCON and the associated school fees to help you make an informed choice about your education.
Lagos State College of Nursing (LASCON) is a reputable tertiary institution that offers various nursing programs. The college is located in Ikeja, the capital of Lagos State. LASCON was established in 1965 to train nurses who can provide quality healthcare services in Lagos State and beyond.
The college has a vision to be a center of excellence in nursing education, research and services. Its mission is to develop competent nurses that can function effectively within the healthcare system. LASCON offers basic nursing programs like General Nursing, Midwifery, Post Basic Nursing and Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW) program.
In summary, LASCON is a reputable institution that grooms nurses to provide quality healthcare services. The college offers affordable nursing programs with modern facilities and experienced lecturers. Graduates of LASCON can work in government and private hospitals across Nigeria.
Tuition fees cover the cost of your academic instruction and access to school facilities. For the 2023 academic year, School fees at LASCON are ₦150,000 per semester for Nursing, and ₦120,000 per semester for Basic Midwifery. Fees may change annually, so check the school’s website for the latest tuition information.
Upon receiving your admission letter, you will need to pay an acceptance fee of ₦10,000 to secure your spot in the program. This non-refundable fee must be paid before the deadline stated in your admission letter.
Courses Offered at LASCON
Lagos State College of Nursing offers various nursing courses and programs for students interested in starting a career as a nurse. The school’s curriculum focuses on both theoretical knowledge and practical skills to prepare students for nursing practice. Some of the major courses offered at LASCON include:
- Basic Nursing: This course provides an overview of fundamental nursing concepts and skills. Students learn about the nursing process, basic human anatomy and physiology, nursing ethics, and essential practical skills like taking vital signs, personal hygiene, and patient mobility.
- Medical-Surgical Nursing: This course focuses on the care of adult patients with medical and surgical health conditions. Students gain knowledge about pathophysiology, diagnostic procedures, medications, and nursing interventions for common disorders and surgeries. Clinical placements in hospitals provide opportunities to apply this knowledge in practice.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Nursing: This course covers nursing care during the antepartum, and postpartum periods. Students learn about pregnancy, childbirth, postnatal care, and care of gynecological conditions. Clinical practice in maternity units and gynecological wards help students develop the necessary skills.
- Pediatric Nursing: This course focuses on the nursing care of infants, children, and adolescents. Students gain understanding about the growth and development needs of children, common childhood illnesses, and age-appropriate care and communication. Placements in pediatric units provide clinical experience.
- Community Health Nursing: This course covers principles and skills for promoting health and providing care in community settings. Students learn about public health issues, health education, communicable disease control, and home health care. Community outreach programs provide opportunities for students to apply their knowledge.
Upon completion of these courses, students are awarded a Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria professional diploma, which allows them to work as registered nurses. LASCON also offers post-basic specialty courses in areas like intensive care, ophthalmic, and oncology nursing.
To gain admission into LASCON, candidates must meet the minimum entry requirements which include five credits in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at SSCE, NECO or their equivalent in not more than two sittings. Applicants must score 200 or more in JAMB.
Overall, LASCON offers affordable and competitive nursing education and training for those interested in starting or advancing their career in nursing. With various programs ranging from basic to postgraduate levels, students have options to choose a course that suits their experience and career goals. For its relatively low fees, LASCON provides students with the opportunity to learn from experienced faculty and gain hands-on experience at partner health facilities. If you aspire to become a nurse in Nigeria, LASCON deserves your consideration. With commitment and hard work, you can achieve your dream of becoming a nurse through the programs offered at LASCON.
Originally posted 2023-10-25 04:40:33.